- JESS GLYNNE AND AMY WADGE DOUBLE AWARD WINNERS
- MNEK VANGUARD AWARD WINNER
- SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY, COLDPLAY, YEARS AND YEARS AND ELLA HENDERSON ALSO WINNERS ON THE NIGHT
10th November 2016, One Embankment, LONDON
Last night, The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), the world leader in performing rights and advocacy for music creators, celebrated in London at One Embankment, some of the most successful songwriters, composers and performers in British music and amongst the winners were DURAN DURAN, JESS GLYNE and MNEK.
One of the top acknowledgments that ASCAP bequeaths upon songwriters, composers and artists who have achieved extraordinary career milestones is the ASCAP Golden Note Award and DURAN DURAN have most certainly earned it. Recognising the global triumph and frame of work of DURAN DURAN, the band have joined past recipients including: JEFF LYNNE, LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM, ALICIA KEYS, LIONEL RICHIE, ELTON JOHN, GEORGE MICHAEL, STEVIE WONDER, QUINCY JONES and many more who have received this special award. Presenting the award, ASCAP PRESIDENT PAUL WILLIAMS acknowledged, “in addition to their brilliant song-writing, DURAN DURAN have continued to innovate across the board,” noting their use of new technology to revolutionise the music video and their sartorial flare when working with fashion legends. Three of the four members collected the Golden Note Award: Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor.
Two esteemed Vanguard Awards were honoured to both JESS GLYNNE and MNEK. The award recognizes the impact of outstanding ASCAP members on musical genres that will help shape the future of music. CEO of ASCAP, ELIZABETH MATTHEWS, explained, “a Vanguard is at the forefront of musical innovation – dynamic and unafraid to embrace the risk and vulnerability implicit in song-writing.”
Her debut solo single “Hold My Hand” opened at #1 on the singles chart and held the position for three consecutive weeks. It also became Glynne’s first solo chart entry on the US Billboard Hot 100 and therefore awarded EDM Song award.
Another double award recipient was multi-talented singer and songwriter AMY WADGE. The awards bestowed on to her were for Song of the Year and another for Top Digital Song. These were in recognition of her massive global hit and Grammy Award-winning song “Thinking Out Loud”, which was co-written and performed by long-time collaborator Ed Sheeran.
Songwriters for ZAYN MALIK’S “Pillowtalk”, ANTHONY HANNIDES, MICHAEL HANNIDES, LEVI LENNOX and JOE GARRETT won the Global Impact Award that is acknowledged as one of the most successful songs of the year! Way a go lads!
“Pillowtalk” enabled MALIK to have not only the highest first day and weekly streams for a debut artist AND made him the first UK artist to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with a first charted single. The song additionally debuted at #1 in the UK, US, Ireland, Australia, Canada, Greece, Portugal and Slovakia as well as reaching Hungary, New Zealand, Singapore and Sweden as #1. “Pillowalk” has been a worldwide sensation and all four songwriters truly deserve the award, Moreover, the music video has over 640 million times on YouTube.
Co-written with performers CALVIN HARRIS and JOHN NEWMAN, “Blame” entered the UK Singles Chart at #1 and became HARRIS’S seventh UK #1 and NEWMAN’S third. And because of this success, JAMES NEWMAN won the award for Top EDM Song. JOHN TITTA, ASCAP Executive Vice President noted how “he’s fast becoming one of the UK’s most in-demand songwriters” as he presented the award to honouree NEWMAN.
ASCAP Senior Director, Membership UK/ Europe SIMON GREENAWAY served as host for the evening, assisted by Director, Membership UK/ Europe DAVID RYAN JORDAN.
Other awards presented this evening were in recognition of Hot 100 Songs, EDM Songs, Film Score of the Year, Top Film Music, Top Television Series.
The full list of ASCAP Awards 2016 winners
- ASCAP Golden Note Award– Duran Duran
- ASCAP Vanguard Award– Jess Glynne
- ASCAP Vanguard Award– MNEK
- ASCAP Global Impact Award– Anthony Hannides, Michael Hannides, Levi Lennox, Joe Garrett (‘PILLOWTALK’ by Zayn Malik)
- ASCAP Song of the Year– Amy Wadge (‘Thinking Out Loud’ by Ed Sheeran)
- ASCAP Top Digital Song– Amy Wadge (‘Thinking Out Loud’ by Ed Sheeran)
- ASCAP Top EDM Song– James Newman (‘Blame’ by Calvin Harris ft. John Newman)
- ASCAP Film Score of the Year– Patrick Doyle (Cinderella)
- ASCAP EDM Song Award– Jess Glynne (‘Hold My Hand’)
ASCAP Hot 100 Winning Songs
- Thomas WilliamRaybould (‘The Hills’ by The Weeknd)
- Lloyd Oliver Wills, Everton Bonner (‘PostTo Be’ by Omarion ft. Chris Brown & Jhene Aiko)
- Sir Paul McCartney (‘FOURFIVESECONDS’ by Rihanna, Kanye West & Paul McCartney)
- Joel Pott (‘Budapest’ by George Ezra)
- Ella Henderson (‘Ghost’ by Ella Henderson)
ASCAP EDM Winning Songs
- Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion (‘A Sky Full of Stars’ by Coldplay)
- Olly Alexander, Mikey Goldsworthy,Emre Turkmen (‘King’ by Years And Years)
- MarliHarwood (‘Stole The Show’ by Kygo Parson James)
- Philip Bentley (‘Secrets’ byTiësto & KSHMR ft. Vassy)
ASCAP Top Film Music Awards
- Lorne Balfe (‘Home’ (2015), ‘TerminatorGenisys’)
- Daniel Pemberton (‘The ManFrom N.C.L.E’)
- Martin Phipps (‘WomanIn Gold’)
- Ben Salisbury, Geoff Barrow (‘Ex Machina’)
ASCAP Top Television Series Awards
- JulianGingell, Barry Stone (‘American Idol’ (Fox))
- Daniel McGrath, Josh Phillips (‘DancingWith The Stars’ (ABC))
- John Lunn (‘Downtown Abbey’ (PBS))